Monday, January 16, 2012

Lemon Cupcake with Coconut Cream Cheese Icing

Week 3:  Today was a rainy 55 degrees today ... And, naturally I thought of doing a spring-y type cupcake.  I know ... Winter in SoCal really can't be called Winter.  I decided my biggest challenge to day has been a cream cheese icing.  I made a Hummingbird Cake for Christmas and the icing had bigger chunks of cream cheese ... that was not going to happen today.   



Last week I made a few adjustments to the KitchenAid and the results have improved.  The blades of the mixer were not reaching the bottom of the bowl.  Who knew such a small adjustment can make such a difference.

This week's cupcake again is more about the icing than the cake.  I got a lemon cake mix from the store and went to town on the Internet to find a good icing recipe.  I found one and I really liked it!   I halfed the recipe and it made enough for the 20 cupcakes plus I could probably ice another 6-8.



Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting:  Food & Wine Magazine

This is the half version I used:
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 8-oz package Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup powered sugar
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese at high speed until light, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the confectioners' sugar; beat at low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.   Add icing to each cupcake ... put coconut on top.  Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment