Friday, January 13, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

As I promised myself I was going to have a batch of cupcakes made every week to prepare for my brother & sister-in-law's wedding in March.  When I did my first batch last week I was feeling pretty confident ... they looked pretty good.  But with all new recipes ... you never quite know how they are going to turn out.  




This weeks creation included some Cherry Dr. Pepper, Cherries, and a box of chocolate cake ...  I made up my own recipe and I'm still trying to find the notes ... Basically, I just threw a bunch of stuff in a bowl ... and baked.   The cake came out really, really fluffy - the gem here was the icing - See recipe below



I got the icing recipe from Eat, Run, Read:  Cherry Icing

Cherry Frosting (from Sprinkles)
Makes enough for 1 dozen cupcakes (I guess it depends on how heavily you frost the cupcakes…I had a lot of frosting leftover.)
Ingredients
½ cup frozen whole cherries, thawed
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
Pinch salt
3 ½ cup confectioners sugar
½ tst. vanilla extract

Directions
Place cherries in the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until pureed. Use an electric mixer to beat together butter and salt until light and fluffy. Slowly add confectioners sugar and beat until well combined. Add vanilla and cherry puree, mix until just blended. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment