Sunday, June 14, 2015

Aloha



Today will not be helping my Hawaii addiction.  Started the day with a text from a friend about seeing Aloha - the new B Cooper movie.  Have no idea what the plot is but it's B Cooper in Hawaii so sign me up.

So after I reserved my tickets online, I brewed some Lion Coffee (the best on the planet) and after reading the reviews online this blog post has done a 90 degree turn from a movie review to a banana bread recipe.

You see, every time I head over to the Islands I grab a big o slice of banana bread.  It just tastes better there - altitude, water, local produce .... I have no idea why but it just does.  On my last trip my bestie grabbed a cookbook by Sam Choy and I used the Mango Bread recipe and tweaked it a bit.   I'm sure the mango bread is great but due to a bit of a mango allergy I'll take their word.  



Here's the original recipe ... And at the end I'll add my adaptation. 

Mango Bread from Sam Choy's Little Hawaiian Cookbook for Big Appetites 

2 C Flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon 
3 eggs, well beaten
3/4 C canola oil
1 1/2 C sugar
2 C pealed and diced mango* 
1/2 C Raisins **
1/2 C chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts ***
1/2 C grated coconuts

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour 2 9 by 5 inch loaf pans.  Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.

In a lg mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar, mango, raisins, nuts, and coconut; combine with dry ingredients and blend well.  Pour into loaf pans and bake until tests done, 45 to 60 minutes.

My adaptation
* 2 very ripe bananas mashed
** Omitted Raisins
*** Used Pecans








No comments:

Post a Comment