Monday, June 15, 2015

Kalua Pork

 


During my first go round of the islands I ended up on Maui.  And, while in Maui we did everything a first time tourist should - snorkeling, Road to Hana, Haleakala and the Old Lahana Luau.

When we returned we found some Hawaiian Restaurants that served Kalua Pork and found some at Costco and a few stores in San Diego that sell Hawaiian foods.   But this week Von's has Pork Butt on sale and I'm going to try this myself. 



Most of the authentic recipes call for Banana leaves.  After searching for them and racking my brain I ask my bestie where we saw the sign for them ... She reminded me it was on a truck, in Kona.  Well, I now know where to get them but it's a bit of a swim.

Without any banana leaves or the ability to dig a pit for the hog, it looked like the crock pot version is going to be the winner.  I read about 20 recipes and decided to wing it ... I know it's not traditionally made and the flavor might not be exact but it made my tummy happy. 



Crockpot Kalua Pork
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 lb Pork Shoulder 
  • 1 3/4 tbs Liquid Smoke, Hickory
  • 2 tbs White Hawaiian Sea Salt 
Instructions
  1. Pat dry the pork roast and poke holes with a fork
  2. Salt the entire roast
  3. Put in crockpot and sprinkle 3/4 tbs Liquid Smoke
  4. Turn on crockpot and let cook for about 6 hours.  You'll know it's ready when you can shred with fork
  5. I took out servings for 2 and browned a bit in a fry pan and swerved with some purple sweet potatoes and Hawaiian BBQ Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment